No Such Thing As Too Much Coffee

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Tips For a Cozier and More Inviting Home

Recently, I had a few unexpected guests in my home and I panicked when I realized how untidy my home was. My children's toys were everywhere, I had big pillows and blankets on the floor where my family plays together, and my kitchen sink still had our lunch dishes in it, and so on.

Why did I panic? Well, when I have company my house is cleaned from top to bottom and it doesn't look so "lived" in. As I apologized for the disorderly state of my house, my guests explained to me how comfortable my house looked and made them feel. They liked the fact that toys and pillows cluttered my living room because it made my house feel more inviting and cozy and not the normal "showcase feel" that they've seen before.

This experience started me thinking. What makes a home feel cozy, warm, and inviting? I believe the most important characteristic of a home is not the size or style, or that it's in perfect order. What's truly important is whether your home is a place of comfort, somewhere in which your family and friends can relax and enjoy themselves.

There are many ways to give your home that inviting "feel" to it. Try incorporating some of the tips and ideas below into your home and see if you can "feel" the difference.

Family Photos - A house without family photos is like a candy store without candy! Family photos do not have to be professionally taken to make them good pictures. Consider framing your favorite snapshots in interesting frames and displaying them around your house. To create a great wall display, simply enlarge and frame a few of your family pictures and hang them up.

Pillows & Throws - By using colorful throw pillows, pretty throws, quilts and blankets, you are making your house look and feel more like a home. Look for these items in luxurious materials such as chenille, cashmere, or velvet. For extra seating, purchase large colorful floor pillows and place them on the floor in your family room.

Books & Magazines - Have you ever heard the term "coffee table books"? This is a good way to give your home a comfortable, relaxed feel to it. Lay out some of your big books with the pretty, colorful covers. Display them on your coffee table. You could also fan out a few of your favorite magazines.

Flowers & Plants - Flowers and plants can add color, brightness and a bit of the outdoors to your home. Put them in non-traditional containers. Try some pretty colored bottles, decorative baskets, cheerful bowls or glasses; use your imagination!

Lighting - Instead of relying on bright overhead lighting, consider using wall sconces, table lamps, or floor lamps to create softer light. The lower wattage bulbs will lend a much cozier feel.

Smell & Hearing – Don't forget to please the important senses of smell and hearing. Create a soothing atmosphere in your home by having several music sources throughout your home. By doing this, you and your family can enjoy the soothing sound of music regardless of what room you are in. To give your home a welcoming scent, use aromatic reed diffusers, room sprays, candles, and/or fresh flowers.

The above ideas are an easy way to create a warm and comfortable home environment. As I learned from my guests, they preferred my home to have the "lived in" look over the "sparkling showcase" look. So, don't panic the next time an unexpected guest arrives and some of the kids' toys are lying around or you have blankets thrown across the furniture. These types of things give our home character and make it a more inviting place for everyone who visits not to mention the people who live there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home